From: Alexandre Oliva
Date: Thu Jun 14 2007 - 14:07:29 EST

On Jun 14, 2007, "Dmitry Torokhov" <dmitry.torokhov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 6/14/07, Alexandre Oliva <aoliva@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > So if I am a sole author of a program and I chose to distribute it under
>> > GPL
>>
>> then you're not a licensee, you're a licensor, and these terms don't
>> apply to you.

> Heh. When you change a GPLed program and pass your changes you are the
> licensor for the new code. You still have a right and license pieces
> of the code you wrote under different license but you do not pass that
> right to recepient of modified work.

You are the author of the change, and you can license them however you
like. Your change itself is not bound by the terms of the GPL, it is
only if it is a derived work of the GPLed work.

If your change is not a derived work, you're not bound by the terms of
the GPL as far as the change is concerned, so the GPL has no say
whatsoever as to how you must release it. If you choose the GPL, then
you're a licensor, and the requirements to pass on all the rights you
have do not apply.

If it *is* a derived work, then you're constrained by the terms of the
license, and you can only distribute it under the same license. You
don't have a right to offer it under a different license in the first
place, so you can't pass this right on.

Derived work or not, when you combine that change with the program,
then you're bound by the terms of the license, and then you cannot
change the licensing terms of the whole program, so you can't pass
this right on either.

FSF Latin America Board Member http://www.fsfla.org/