From: Alexandre Oliva
Date: Thu Jun 14 2007 - 14:44:17 EST

On Jun 14, 2007, Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> .. but I think that the software license I choose should be about the
> software, and about giving back in kind.

> And the GPLv2 is _perfect_ for that.

> And the GPLv3 is horrible.

Is there anything other than TiVOization to justify these statements?

Also, can you elaborate on what you mean about 'giving back in kind'?
(I suspect this is related with the tit-for-tat reasoning, that you've
failed to elaborate on before)

The only thing the GPL demands is respect for others' freedoms, as in,
"I, the author, respect your freedoms, so you, the licensee, must
respect others' freedoms as well". Is this the "in kind" you're
talking about? Or are you mistaken about the actual meaning of even
GPLv2?

FSF Latin America Board Member http://www.fsfla.org/