From: Neshama Parhoti
Date: Thu Jun 14 2007 - 14:42:25 EST

Forgive me for a little off-topic question but I have a difficulty
to understand a technical issue about this all.

The Linux Kernel cannot easily switch licenses because of the
large amount of people involved in it (i.e. contributed code on which
they have copyright).

But many of FSF's GNU projects are similar - for example GCC has contributors
from many many companies and individuals, from which I presume there
are who might object to GPLv3.

So how come they can so easily move to GPLv3 ?
Don't they have to have permission from all of those contributors (many
of which are Linux companies and distributors who might prefer staying
at GPLv2) ?