Re: [patch 3/3] Enable Aggressive Link Power management for AHCIcontrollers.

From: Kristen Carlson Accardi
Date: Tue Jun 12 2007 - 12:31:29 EST

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 11:46:56 -0400
Jeff Garzik <jeff@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Matthew Garrett wrote:
> >> The new SATA ones use the SATA hardware hotplug ;-) Just like the pci-e
> >> cards use usb2.0 and pci-e hotplug...
> >
> > Yes, but they'll also send an ACPI interrupt even if the SATA host
> > controller doesn't - it's part of the spec for bays.
>
> Regardless, having a laptop does not imply having a docking bay.
>
> Jeff

For bay devices, we can use ACPI just like we do now. For non-bay devices,
we can implement hotplug via polling when ALPM is enabled. In my experience
most laptop vendors implement extra drive as either PATA in a dock station,
USB in a dock station, or a bay device either on the dock station, or
on the laptop itself.

Kristen