Re: Jinxed VAIO wreckage - current state of affairs

From: Rafael J. Wysocki
Date: Sat Jun 09 2007 - 16:54:27 EST

On Saturday, 9 June 2007 21:54, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> Andrew's jinxed VAIO breaks with the high resolution timer updates in a
> very strange way. Andrew identified the following patch as the culprit:
>
> http://www.tglx.de/projects/hrtimers/2.6.22-rc4/broken-out/clockevents-fix-resume-logic.patch
>
> This makes no sense at all. The patch just moves the timer restart to a
> different (later) place in the code and does exactly the same thing as
> the current code does.
>
> On resume the VAIO is stuck in the following place:
>
> <Andrews debug session>
>
> We finish swsusp_save() and a few other functions then we go
>
> hibernate
> ->platform_finish
> ->acpi_hibernation_finish
> ->acpi_leave_sleep_state
> ->acpi_evaluate_object
>
> and there it dies, in this call:
>
> status = acpi_evaluate_object(NULL, METHOD_NAME__WAK, &arg_list, NULL);
>
> I wonder how your patch caused that?
>
> <debugs further>
>
> OK, it gets to the last statement in acpi_evaluate_object():
>
> return_ACPI_STATUS(status);
>
> but doesn't hit the printk on return to the caller,
> acpi_leave_sleep_state().
>
> </Andrews debug session>
>
> Some data points:
>
> This happens only, when the local apic timer is used. With PIT the
> resume works fine.
>
> I back ported the full high res stuff to 2.6.20. On 2.6.20 the VAIO
> survives that patch.
>
> Can the suspend/resume and ACPI wizards please give some hint how to
> track this 100% reproducible wreckage down.

Hmm, how's 2.6.22-rc4-mm2 doing on the Vaio?

There are a couple of patches in there that might help in theory, this series
in particular:

swsusp-remove-incorrect-code-from-userc.patch
swsusp-remove-code-duplication-between-diskc-and-userc.patch
swsusp-introduce-restore-platform-operations.patch
swsusp-fix-hibernation-code-ordering.patch
swsusp-remove-code-duplication-between-diskc-and-userc-fix.patch

Greetings,
Rafael

--
"Premature optimization is the root of all evil." - Donald Knuth