Re: -ck patch | Feedback

From: Miguel Figueiredo
Date: Sat Jun 09 2007 - 05:30:27 EST

Celso wrote:
> Hello, I'm using -ck since... along time ago (I start using it with the
> kernel 2.6.16) . I started using it with Ubuntu and the response of the
> system was better. Since that I always compile my kernels with -ck.
> Actually I use 2.6.20-ck1 and I have no problems, even with things that
> needs kernel-sources like gspca for my webcam.
>
> Thanks a lot for the patches.
>
> PS: when will this go into the official kernel?

Hi there,

have you tryied a newer kernel with -ck2 [1] ?

I am also using a -ck patch, 2.6.21-ck2, mostly on 2 machines where i
use as desktop and also play games. With -ck2 the experience seems less
slugish and more smooth while playing 'second life' and have a bunch of
other programs open (mail, a zillion web pages, irc client, feed reader,
consoles, ...).
The desktop seems more confortable to use than with the vanilla kernel.
I also tryed cfs, it's also much better than the vanilla kernel but i
still prefer -ck2 for playing second life as it feels more responsive.

If you try the -ck2 or SD 1.0 please report your experience. It's nice
to hear that people are testing/using these improvements on desktop usage.

1 - ck2 patch to add to vanilla 2.6.21,
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/ck/patches/2.6/2.6.21/2.6.21-ck2/patch-2.6.21-ck2.bz2

PS: I remember i read somewhere that the SD patch (included in -ck) has
became stable (version 1.0) with a few small improvements!

--

Com os melhores cumprimentos/Best regards,

Miguel Figueiredo
http://www.DebianPT.org