Re: [patch] queued spinlocks (i386)

From: Lee Revell
Date: Thu Mar 29 2007 - 22:07:06 EST

On 3/29/07, Davide Libenzi <davidel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 29 Mar 2007, Oleg Nesterov wrote:

> On 03/28, Nick Piggin wrote:
> >
> > Well with my queued spinlocks, all that lockbreak stuff can just come out
> > of the spin_lock, break_lock out of the spinlock structure, and
> > need_lockbreak just becomes (lock->qhead - lock->qtail > 1).
>
> Q: queued spinlocks are not CONFIG_PREEMPT friendly,

Why? Is CONFIG_PREEMPT friendly to anyone? :)

Until someone fixes all the places in the kernel where scheduling can
be held off for tens of milliseconds, CONFIG_PREEMPT will be an
absolute requirement for many applications like audio and gaming.

Many of these were fixed a while back during early -rt development but
at some point the process stalled as the remaining cases were too hard
to fix...

Lee