Re: [RFC, PATCH] SLAB : [NUMA] keep nodeid in struct page insteadof struct slab

From: Eric Dumazet
Date: Wed Mar 21 2007 - 11:38:48 EST

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 07:41:46 -0700 (PDT)
Christoph Lameter <christoph@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Mar 2007, Eric Dumazet wrote:
>
> > In order to avoid a cache miss in kmem_cache_free() on NUMA and reduce hot path length, we could exploit the following common facts.
> >
> > 1) MAX_NUMNODES <= 64
>
> MAX_NUMNODES == 1024 on IA64 and may be on x86_64 in the future.

So what ? I am very happy for you Christoph.

Average linux machines (ie more than 99.99 % on this planet) are using MAX_NUMNODES <= 64

If you read my patch, your lovely 1024 nodes machines will run as before : No change at all for big machines.

> > 2) alignment of 'struct kmem_cache *' can be >= 64
> >
> > The following patch changes the page->lru.next to contain not only the
> > 'struct kmem_cache *' pointer, but also the nodeid in the low order
> > bits.
>
> Nack.
>
> I would suggest you audit slab and make sure that we never fall back and
> always enter a slab on the node of page_to_nid(page). If
> all allocations use GFP_THISNODE then you should be safe and then we can
> remove the nodeid from the slab structure and simply use the available
> node information in the page struct.

Last time I checked 'struct page', they was no nodeid in it.

I cooked this patch because you told me it was possible to have a 'slab nodeid' different than page_to_nid(obj). Now you want me to prove the contrary. Me confused.