Re: [BUG] 2.6.21-rc1,2,3 regressions on my system that I found sofar

From: Eric St-Laurent
Date: Tue Mar 20 2007 - 18:59:00 EST

On Tue, 2007-20-03 at 10:15 +0100, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

> disabling that is a BAD idea. I'm no fan of SMM myself, but it's there,
> and we have to live with it. Disabling it without knowing what it does
> on your system is madness.

Like Lee said, for "debugging", mainly trying to resolve unexplained
long latencies.

I've had a laptop that caused latency spikes with the cpu fan was turn
on. I tried disabling SMI to diagnose the problem with no success.

My current system has a BIOS feature to control fans speed according to
temperature. I presume this must a SMI to work right? In this case it
should be possible to find and disable the related SMI and replace the
fan control with a user space software.

Of course it's not wise to blindly disable SMIs as we don't precisely
know what they do.

- Eric