Re: [BUG] 2.6.21-rc1,2,3 regressions on my system that I found so far

From: Andy Lutomirski
Date: Tue Mar 20 2007 - 14:11:59 EST

Arjan van de Ven wrote:
On Tue, 2007-03-20 at 01:36 -0400, Eric St-Laurent wrote:
On Tue, 2007-20-03 at 01:04 -0400, Lee Revell wrote:

I think CONFIG_TRY_TO_DISABLE_SMI would be excellent for debugging,
not to mention people trying to spec out hardware for RT
applications...
There is a SMI disabling module in RTAI, check the smi-module.c in this:

https://www.rtai.org/RTAI/rtai-3.5.tar.bz2

More infos:

http://www.captain.at/rtai-smi-high-latency.php
http://www.captain.at/xenomai-smi-high-latency.php

It might make sense to merge this code, at least in the -rt tree.

it NEVER makes sense to disable SMM.

SMM is there to ensure that your hardware doesn't get physically
damaged.

disabling that is a BAD idea. I'm no fan of SMM myself, but it's there,
and we have to live with it. Disabling it without knowing what it does
on your system is madness.

How about disabling it long enough to calibrate the timers and then turning it back on?

--Andy

(apologies if anyone gets duplicates of this. i'm encountering nightly-thunderbird-build bugs.)