Re: RSDL v0.31

From: Mark Lord
Date: Mon Mar 19 2007 - 12:08:00 EST

Al Boldi wrote:
..
Mike, I'm not saying RSDL is perfect, but v0.31 is by far better than mainline. Try this easy test:

startx with the vesa driver
run reflect from the mesa5.0-demos
load 5 cpu-hogs
start moving the mouse

On my desktop, mainline completely breaks down, and no nicing may rescue.

On RSDL, even without nicing, the desktop is at least useable.

I use a simpler, far more common (for lkml participants) workload:

Dell notebook, single P-M-2GHz, ATI X300, open source X.org:
(1) build a kernel in one window with "make -j$((NUMBER_OF_CPUS + 1))".
(2) try to read email and/or surf in Firefox/Thunderbird.

Stock scheduler wins easily, no contest.

Cheers