Re: forced umount?

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Sat Mar 17 2007 - 01:25:15 EST

On Saturday 17 March 2007, Mike Snitzer wrote:
>I'm interested in understanding the state of Linux with regard to
>_really_ forcing a filesystem to unmount.
>
>There is a (stale) project at OSDL that has various implementations:
>http://developer.osdl.org/dev/fumount/
>
>Its fairly clear that these efforts (e.g. badfs patches) haven't been
>given serious consideration for upstream inclusion. Do others see
>value in the ability to _reliably_ force a umount by having Linux
>discard all IOs, open files, dirty inode buffers, etc of a "bad"
>blockdevice? The goal is to not impact the availability or integrity
>of Linux while doing so.
>
>Is this forced umount work even considered worthwhile by the greater
>Linux community? Is anyone actively working on this?

Having been 'caught out' on this subject more than a few times, usually by
shutting down a remotely located box that was mounted via smb or cifs,
and found the only way to get sanity back to the rest of the system was a
hard reset of every other box that was also sharing that mount, I would
think this is a worthwhile project.

Take that as a yes vote, from somebody who isn't franchised to vote on it
in the first place, I'm just a user, usually playing the part of the
canary in the coal mine.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)