RE: [git patches] libata fixes

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sun Mar 11 2007 - 16:04:54 EST

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007, Paul Rolland wrote:

> Nope... I tried several patches from Tejun, and also some that Jeff posted
> to linux-ide, but no luck. The only way to have this DVD-RW working is to
> use irqpoll on the command line...

So it has *never* worked? That's what I'm trying to see - you had a
"before" and "after" dmesg in one of your posts, and the "before" one
looked fine (as if it was working) because it didn't have the error
messages.

So I'm just trying to figure out where the regression started...

> To complete, here are some more output from the machine :

What happens if you disable MSI entirely? Use "pci=nomsi" on the command
line.

The

ata2.00: qc timeout (cmd 0xec)
ata2.00: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, err_mask=0x104)

messages happen for you on the controller that claims MSI:

ata2: SATA max UDMA/133 cmd 0xffffc2000008a980 ctl 0x0000000000000000 bmdma 0x0000000000000000 irq 504

and quite frankly, we've had lots of bugs with MSI, both in hardware and
in software.

Linus