Re: 2.6.21-rc3-mm1 RSDL results

From: Con Kolivas
Date: Fri Mar 09 2007 - 01:29:12 EST

On Friday 09 March 2007 16:39, Matt Mackall wrote:
> First off, let me say that I think your approach has great promise,
> but I'm afraid it doesn't work so well here yet.
>
> Box is an R51 Thinkpad, 1.7GHz Pentium M. I'm using a make -j 5 as a
> test load.
>
> With 2.6.21-rc2-mm2, I get slightly sluggish response for opening new
> terminals, scrolling in Galeon, and a bit jerky behaviour for spinning
> Beryl's 3D desktop. Playing MP3s off an sshfs FUSE mount works fine.
> Typing across ssh sessions has no noticeable lag. Mouse pointer
> movement is smooth.
>
> With 2.6.21-rc3-mm1, terminals take longer to open, Galeon is
> noticeably more sluggish, and Beryl's desktop switching goes from being
> jerky to a 5-second agony. Typing in shells, remote or not,
> lags noticeably. Mouse pointer is alternately smooth or jerky. But
> MP3s still work great!
>
> Problems persist with make -j 2 and make.

make -j5 sucks you'll get precisely 1/6th cpu for galeon with this scheduler
which is perfectly fair and I make no apology for it, nor do I plan to
optimise for it. With make (without jobs) you'll still only get 50% cpu so it
should be precisely half speed unless you nice it. Does it feel precisely
half speed? It's supposed to. This is one of the drawbacks of a perfectly
fair approach; its... fair and will need more liberal use of nice.

--
-ck