2.6.21-rc3-mm1 RSDL results

From: Matt Mackall
Date: Fri Mar 09 2007 - 00:52:33 EST

First off, let me say that I think your approach has great promise,
but I'm afraid it doesn't work so well here yet.

Box is an R51 Thinkpad, 1.7GHz Pentium M. I'm using a make -j 5 as a
test load.

With 2.6.21-rc2-mm2, I get slightly sluggish response for opening new
terminals, scrolling in Galeon, and a bit jerky behaviour for spinning
Beryl's 3D desktop. Playing MP3s off an sshfs FUSE mount works fine.
Typing across ssh sessions has no noticeable lag. Mouse pointer
movement is smooth.

With 2.6.21-rc3-mm1, terminals take longer to open, Galeon is
noticeably more sluggish, and Beryl's desktop switching goes from being
jerky to a 5-second agony. Typing in shells, remote or not,
lags noticeably. Mouse pointer is alternately smooth or jerky. But
MP3s still work great!

Problems persist with make -j 2 and make.