Re: [Patch 2/2] cciss: supercedes add shutdown support (replacesreboot notifier)

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Tue Feb 27 2007 - 15:31:20 EST

> On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 14:42:39 -0600 "Mike Miller (OS Dev)" <mikem@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> This patch supercedes yesterdays cciss-shutdown patch. The primary difference is
> removing __devexit from cciss_remove_one. Instead of create another function I'd
> rather use the code that was intended to perform the cleanup and cache flush. I've
> tested as a loadable module and statically linked without error.
> Please consider this for inclusion.

Please don't document patches like this.

The entirety of your changelog and the Subject: are relative to a patch
which will never hit the mainline git tree. Put yourself in the position
of someone reading the git changelogs in a year's time. They're going to
be left scratching their heads at the above, aren't they?

Always include a complete and standalone, not-referential-to-an-old-patch
changelog in each iteration of a patch.

Always choose a suitable Subject:

Yes, it's good to tell us things about how this patch differs from the
previous one. That info can be placed after the ^--- which comes after
your signed-off-by:, or can be placed at the top of the email, as long as
the full permanent changelog is there too.

Bottom line: you are submitting code and its documentation into the
permanent kernel record, not just the mailing list. Try to make it
appropriate, thanks.

Please send a new Subject: and changlog for this patch.