Re: [RFC] killing the NR_IRQS arrays.

From: Eric W. Biederman
Date: Tue Feb 27 2007 - 15:30:58 EST

A quick update. I did some work on this and have some observations.

- Every back end irq implementation seems to have a different name for
the structure that describes irqs. So picking struct irq which is
different from everything seems to make sense. At the very least
a empty struct irq can be embedded in the architecture specific
irq description structure and we can use container_of to get back
to it.

- The name struct irq conflicts with a spurious definition in
include/pcmcia/cs.h, but otherwise is fine. So it probably makes
sense to use.

- Updating all of the drivers is going to be a pain for precisely the
reason we need to update the drivers. irq numbers are not handled
at all cleanly. In attempting just a few conversions I have seen
irq number stashed in everything for a u8 to a u64. I have seen
all values <= 0 thrown out as invalid.

So we have a decade or more of accumulated inconsistencies and it is
getting painful to work with. Changing the type to something that
won't support all of the old hacks should help cleanup the code.

- Because drivers are not consistent in their handling of irq numbers
whatever path I take to a conversion each patch needs to be thought
about instead of just performed. So I'm going to have to double
the API so a gradual conversion is possible.

- Converting the genirq code to use struct irq_desc pointers
throughout (instead of unsigned int irq) is straight forward and
mindless. Though it is tedious. Like I expected the drivers to be
:(

So it looks like all I need to do to convert the genirq backend is
to break the work up into small enough patches that each patch is
obviously correct. Then compiling on the different architectures
can just serve as a spot check, not as absolutely required step
during the code conversion.

- The converted genirq code was short and easier to follow. Mostly
because I got to kill all of the if (irq >= NR_IRQS) tests...
Null pointer dereferences are your friends!

- The are only 3 or 4 arrays of size NR_IRQS in non-architecture code
and I have patches in my queue to kill them, so that isn't too bad.

- All of the drivers that handle irqs need to be touched because one
of the parameters to the irq handler is the interrupt number. So
that needs to be converted.

So I think the path should be:

* Kill the arrays of size NR_IRQS in non-arch code.

* Add a variation of the API in interrupt.h that uses
"struct irq *irq" instead of "unsigned int irq"

Probably replacing request_irq with irq_request or something
trivial like that.

This will need to touch all of different irq implementation back
ends, but only very lightly.

* Convert the generic irq code to use struct irq * everywhere it
current uses "unsigned int irq".

* Start on the conversions of drivers and subsystems picking on
the easy ones first :)

* Adding for_each_irq_desc() and similar helpers to the generic
irq code.

* Add support in the generic irq code for architectures that don't
have a giant array of irqs.

* Convert x86_64 and i386 to dynamically allocate their irqs.
Routines using the old interfaces will be no longer O(1) more
likely O(N). So will be slow but request_irq and free_irq are
no where near the fast path so it doesn't matter. enable_irq
and disable_irq are the only cases that might matter and they
occur rarely enough fixing the drivers that matter should not
be a problem.

* Ultimately finish converting all of the drivers and remove the
compatibility cruft.

I will look at getting things started and some patches into -mm
sometime next month.

Eric