Re: [RFC] Fast assurate clock readable from user space and NMI handler

From: Mathieu Desnoyers
Date: Mon Feb 26 2007 - 23:53:05 EST

* Daniel Walker (dwalker@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-02-26 at 22:54 -0500, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
> > If an NMI nests over the spinlock, we have a deadlock.
>
> Maybe not completely safe ...
>
> > In addition, clock->cycle_last is a cycle_t, defined as a 64 bits on
> > x86. If is therefore not updated atomically by change_clocksource,
> > timekeeping_init, timekeeping_resume and update_wall_time. If an NMI
> > fires right on top of the update, especially around the 32 bits wrap
> > around, the time will be really fuzzy.
>
> I'm not sure that is particularly significant considering that it's just
> a possible bad timestamp, and the probability of that happening seems
> rather low .. You could also modify NMI calls so they use a different
> time stamping method, like reading the clocksource directly .

Since you do not disable interrupts around the clocksource read, the
same problem applies to interrupt handlers of higher priority than the
cycle_last updating code.

A bad timestamp can make a trace quite hard to follow and more
error-prone. When someone is looking for _the_ failing case in a system,
the infrastructure used to debug must be reliable. Sometimes error cases
takes days before showing up : we can't afford to be unsure about the
precision of the tracer.

Also, the goal is to have a generic monotonic timestamp readable from
everywhere. Excluding execution contexts doesn't seem like such a great
idea (it just replicates the same problem somewhere else).

> The pit clocksource could be dropped pretty easy with my clocksource
> update patches, which I'm still working on but you could easily drop
> clock sources that aren't atomic like the pit .. Also the pit is
> generally undesirable, so it's not going to be missed.

Still important for old architectures where PIT is the only available
clock source I guess. However, the clocksource struct should at least
tell if the time can be read atomically and offer a different API for
atomic vs non atomic read of time source, returning an error if no
atomic time source is available.

Mathieu

--
Mathieu Desnoyers