Re: Regression in kernel linux-2.6.20-rc1/2: Problems with poweroff

From: Alexey Starikovskiy
Date: Wed Jan 10 2007 - 06:51:32 EST

Berthold Cogel wrote:
Alexey Starikovskiy schrieb:
Berthold Cogel wrote:
Alexey Starikovskiy schrieb:

Hello Alex,

I still get the same diffs. Except the yenta part of course. And the
system is still rebooting.

Berthold
Good, yenta is cleared :) Could you replace /drivers/acpi/ec.c with the
version from 2.6.19.x and try again?

Regards,
Alex.
Hi Alex!

I did what you suggested. First I replaced ec.c in linux-2.6.20-rc2 (see
attached dmesg-2.6.20-rc2.ec.txt) with the version from linux-2.6.19.1
and in a second step I also replaced i2c_ec.c and i2c_ec.h
(dmesg-2.6.20-rc2.i2c_ec.txt).

In both cases the only result I can see is the absence of the 'ACPI: EC:
evaluating' messages in the logs. The system is still rebooting instead
of doing a clean shutdown.

Regards,
Berthold

Excellent, ACPI printing of queries is cleared as well :)
There are two ways to debug further... git-bisect and unloading modules
before shutdown (or not loading them)...
While second is easier and could isolate a module, the first could be
way more productive:
http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/howto/isolate-bugs-with-bisect.txt

Thanks in advance,
Alex.

Hi Alex!

I will have to set up git first for the bisect way. So I decided to give
the second way a try.

The module in question is ehci_hcd. After blacklisting it, 'shutdown -h
now' worked fine.

Hi Berthold,

That is good news, but with ehci_hcd you basically disable the whole USB subsystem. Please try to locate more
by turning off USB options in your kernel config, starting with USB suspend.
Probably, USB maintainers could give you some more hints on there to look.

Regards,
Alex.