Re: x86/x86-64 merge for 2.6.19

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Sep 26 2006 - 18:21:48 EST

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006, Sam Ravnborg wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 26, 2006 at 01:44:42PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> >
> > Right. I'm actually surprised not more peole use git that way. It was
> > literally one of the _design_goals_ of git to have people use quilt a a
> > more "willy-nilly" front-end process, with git giving the true distributed
> > nature that you can't get from that kind of softer patch-queue like
> > system.
>
> One of the major benefits from git is that whenever I decide to
> do some changes git allows me to start modifying as I like and when
> done I just do "git diff | less" to review it. And when it turns out
> to be a piece of crap I just do "git reset --hard" and be done with it.
> This make my life so much easier than having to copy symlinked tress
> around all the time - and I then may not touch the base for the symlinks.

Yeah, I won't argue against that too much. I'm a pure git user myself,
although my patterns tend to be different from most other people (only
fairly small code changes, and mostly merging other peoples code: I end up
often touching source code more when I do some trivial manual conflict
resolution than at most other times..)

And yes, making "git diff" as efficient as possible was definitely one of
the things that I worked on, exactly because it is how I work when I do
end up working on something: continually reminding myself what the other
changes I did were..

So "git" should work fine for pretty much any normal development, but a
patch maintenance system it ain't.

Linus