Re: Kubuntu's udev broken with 2.6.18-rc2-mm1

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Mon Jul 31 2006 - 00:49:36 EST

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 21:35:42 -0700
Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Remember, FC3 is now in Legacy support mode, not something the mainline
> kernel should have to worry about.

It's not specifically related to FC3. It's udev - we've broken _any_
distribution which uses a two-year-old udev. In fact we're proposing
breaking any distro which has an older-than-ten-month udev. That's really
bad.

It's worse on FC3 because there is, as far as I can tell, no rpm or srpm
which can be used to unbreak it. And pointing at Documentation/Changes
doesn't alter that, does it?

Personally, there's no way I'm upgrading this box because I _want_ to run
old distros to catch things like this. So I'll hack it around to work
somehow. I can do that, because I'm a developer.

Are we going to stop doing this soon?