Re: the " 'official' point of view" expressed by kernelnewbies.org regarding reiser4 inclusion

From: Francesco Biscani
Date: Tue Jul 25 2006 - 15:18:33 EST

On Tuesday 25 July 2006 19:47, Hans Reiser wrote:
> Wow, I would never have guessed our market share was that high as 1/5th
> of ext3. I mean, you can't even get a distro which allows you to
> install onto reiser4 without hours of work so far as I know. I guess
> there are people who really do care about twice as fast.
>
> Hans

Yes, this was a pleasant surprise indeed :)

This useless mail from a mere user is just to testify that I've used reiser4
on my laptop since June 2004, and that, barring occasional hiccups, I never
had serious problems with it. In fact I haven't lost a single bit of data
despite crashes and cold shutdowns due to power outage.

I don't know if this means something or if I've just been lucky, but it seems
to me that when reiser4 crashes (and sometimes it does, given its young age),
it behaves very very well. That's the thing that impressed me the most (and
it is really something, given for example the debacle of a mature filesystem
like XFS in 2.6.17). Oh, and performance, of course ;)

I really hope that the technical difficulties that are preventing reiser4 from
entering mainline will be sorted out soon.

Thanks,

Francesco (crawling back in the shadow)

--
Dr. Francesco Biscani