Re: [patch 5/8] hrtimer remove state field

From: Thomas Gleixner
Date: Sun Mar 12 2006 - 08:07:21 EST

On Sun, 2006-03-12 at 13:13 +0100, Roman Zippel wrote:
> > spin_lock_irq(&base->lock);
> >
> > - /* Another CPU has added back the timer */
> > - if (timer->state != HRTIMER_INACTIVE)
> > - continue;
> > -
> > - if (restart != HRTIMER_NORESTART)
> > + if (restart != HRTIMER_NORESTART &&
> > + !hrtimer_active(timer))
> > enqueue_hrtimer(timer, base);
> > }
> > set_curr_timer(base, NULL);
>
> BTW the active check can be removed again, as it was added for a state
> machine problem, I only didn't want to remove it for 2.6.16.

The check can not be removed. The reason why it was added is still the
same.

It has nothing to do with a state machine. It's a simple SMP locking
issue.

softirq runs on CPU0
base->lock()

remove_timer(timer);

base->unlock()
signal of previous expiry is delivered on CPU1
timer is reqeued.
requeue = timer->fn();

base->lock()

if (requeue)
enqueue_timer(timer)

--> OOPS

We can not wait in the signal delivery path until the callback has been
executed, as we hold the posix-timer->lock and this would deadlock
timer->fn().

tglx