Re: [patch] i386 spinlocks: disable interrupts only if we enabledthem

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Wed Mar 08 2006 - 03:49:51 EST

Andrew Morton wrote:
Benjamin LaHaise <bcrl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Wed, Mar 08, 2006 at 01:43:08AM +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> we dont inline that code anymore. So i think the optimization is fine.

Why is that? It adds memory traffic that has to be synchronized before the lock occurs and clobbered registers now in the caller.

Is the inlined lock;decb+jns likely to worsen the text size? I doubt it. Overall text will get bigger due to the out-of-line stuff, but that's OK.

I'm sure we went over all this, but I don't recall the thinking.

Seems like a very good idea not to clobber any registers in
lock fastpaths. I don't see how that could have been a win
(especially for i386) but still, Ingo must have had a reason
behind it.

--
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.