Weird login, possibly related to rootkit Q

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Thu Feb 23 2006 - 01:20:08 EST

I've been asked to see if anyone has seen a case where a rh9 machine
with one nic in it, but with 3 virtual addresses, apparently got
rooted.

One address is 192.168.ish and the other two are assigned network
addresses. Symptoms were that all the usual admin tools were haveing
their create date updated at one minute intervals to stay current, and
anything we tried to do with them was a segfault. And the machine was
lagged terribly, with the cpu running 50F hotter than normal. Cleaning
and regreaseing the cpu & heatsink only helped about 10 degrees. cpu
fan is running good.

So we did a reinstall (rh9) without formatting because there was a lot
of non-replaceable data on it. This also saved the logs, but they are
obviously not a lot of help when about 5 hours is missing at about the
time everything went to hell.

One of the things left visible in the logs was an ssh login by root,
from one of its ethernet addresses to another, but without a
corresponding root login from an outside address!

Has anyone seen such a duck waddle by before?

--
Cheers, Gene
stupid bounce rules. I do use spamassassin too. :-)