Re: kernel development process questions

From: Jesper Juhl
Date: Wed Dec 21 2005 - 04:16:42 EST

On 12/21/05, Luke Yang <luke.adi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Thanks for Greg's howto and others' documents (Such as the "kernel
> hacker's guide to git). But I still have some detail questions:
>
> Which is everyone working on: the "latest linus git tree" or the
> "-mm kernel"?

I can't answer for anyone but myself, but I personally try to test
both and look for problems in both.
Most patches I submit are against the latest Linus git tree since
Andrew usually handles merging that into -mm just fine. If I'm working
on something that's currently only present in -mm (or radically
different in -mm), then latest -mm is what I work on.

So a little of both.

>As I tried, the -mm kernel is only a patch, which MAY
> can not be applied to latest kernel. For example, current
> 2.6.15-rc5-mm3 patch can't be applied to current kernel without
> rejections and conflicts.

The 2.6.15-rc5-mm3 patch applies to 2.6.15-rc5 as its name implies.
Take a look at http://sosdg.org/~coywolf/lxr/source/Documentation/applying-patches.txt

> As Greg pointed out, most patches should be tested on -mm kernel.
> So I assum that a developer just get an exact 2.6.15-rc5 kernel from
> git, apply the 2.6.15-rc5-mm3 patch, do some work and send out the
> patch, then just stay there for next -mm patch?

Sure, that's one way to do it as well.

--
Jesper Juhl <jesper.juhl@xxxxxxxxx>