kernel development process questions

From: Luke Yang
Date: Wed Dec 21 2005 - 00:16:56 EST

Hi all,

Thanks for Greg's howto and others' documents (Such as the "kernel
hacker's guide to git). But I still have some detail questions:

Which is everyone working on: the "latest linus git tree" or the
"-mm kernel"? As I tried, the -mm kernel is only a patch, which MAY
can not be applied to latest kernel. For example, current
2.6.15-rc5-mm3 patch can't be applied to current kernel without
rejections and conflicts.

As Greg pointed out, most patches should be tested on -mm kernel.
So I assum that a developer just get an exact 2.6.15-rc5 kernel from
git, apply the 2.6.15-rc5-mm3 patch, do some work and send out the
patch, then just stay there for next -mm patch?

Thanks in advace!

BTW: git question, Is there any way to get my .git/refs/ folder
updated through http? I mean not through rsync?

Regards,
Luke Yang
Analog Device Inc.