Re: [SERIAL, -mm] CRC failure

From: Kenneth Parrish
Date: Wed Dec 14 2005 - 22:46:10 EST

-=> In article 14 Dec 05 15:31:04, alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote to Kenneth
Parrish <=-

al> Ok so a fairly slow old VIA box with slow processor. Still ought
al> to be fast enough in the normal case not to drop characters.
gcc 3.4.5 takes nine hours to compile. not bad.
yes serial has been okay, it seems; and for some time, switching
from X window to console and back during file transfers is OK now..
almost always got crc errors in past years doin that.

al> Try this and let me know what effect it has. Also I'd be
al> interested to know if you see the problem in X or both in X and
al> console mode.
(patch snipped)
Thanks, i typed it in by hand cause there was e-mail damage -- tried to
repair it using vim with line endings and tabs displayed, but didn't fix
it well enough for 'patch'.
no errors during the compile, and alas no change noticeable. i
uncommented the /var/log/debug option in /etc/syslog.conf and restarted
syslogd/klogd from /etc/rc.d/rc.syslog (slackware v10.0 of about a year
and a hlaf back), but nothing.
might enabling one or more of the kernel debugging options help? I can
do so and retest, and try another patch.
I only use minicom from the console and haven't made the effort to get
it to work in both X and console with keyboard and character display
correct (may not be too hard;).

m is aliased to `echo -en "\033(U";minicom;echo -en "\033(B"'
and this also from ~/.bash_profile after 'tic'ing the minicom
terminfo entry supplied with minicom.

case "$TERM" in
con*|linux)
MINICOM="-l -m -con -tmc" ; export MINICOM
;;
esac

--- MultiMail/Linux v0.46