Re: Runs with Linux (tm)

From: David Lang
Date: Mon Dec 12 2005 - 16:13:02 EST

On Wed, 7 Dec 2005, Jesse Barnes wrote:

Now, who's in a position to make this happen? Maybe Linux International?
(I think Maddog mentioned something like this at a Kernel Summit a few
years ago.)

I don't remember tha name of the orginization, but the group that Linus setup to enforce the trademark would be perfect for this. licensing a 'runs with linux' sticker would be exactly the type of thing the trademark is designed to protect.

I think it's obvious that anything with in-kernel drivers would qualify (new versions of hardware may need driver updates before they could use the sticker) and if Linus could define a suitable level of documentation of the hardware I think that that should very quickly lead to an in-kernel driver (and given hardware lead time it may be reasonable to allow the sticker based on the release of documentation)

I would not like to see it for external drivers, especially ones that work only with specific kernels from specific distros. even if the source is available, unless it can be merged into the kernel it's going to be a ongoing problem (although the open-source-but-external driver code could end up being deemed 'sufficiant documentation')

David Lang

-- C.A.R. Hoare