Re: Runs with Linux (tm)

From: Felix Oxley
Date: Thu Dec 08 2005 - 07:23:51 EST

On 8 Dec 2005, at 11:48, jerome lacoste wrote:

[...]
With a logo a PC vendor such as Dell can stick the logo on their PCs
if and only if every component in the machine is certified.
(Including motherboard, on-board graphics, on-boad-sound, on-board
raid etc. etc.)

This means you or I don't have to try to find out the exact machine
specification from Dell and then individually check each part against
the hardware database.

I completely agree with all your arguments. My point is that your
solution is a long term one. It depends on demand being there, on
hardware vendors to be educated/lobbied/pressured, on both part
vendors and part assemblers to use the logos (as a good side effect
creating the logo might enforce the existance of Linux/Free OS
specialized hardware companies).

This is a good but long term shot. It will take years before such a
framework becomes effective for the user.

I am not trying to address the immediate problem.
This is a strategy to prevent the "Doomsday Scenario" outlined by Arjan which ends up with most drivers being closed source.