Re: RFC: ACPI/scsi/libata integration and hotswap

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Fri Dec 09 2005 - 19:39:46 EST

Matthew Garrett wrote:
On Fri, Dec 09, 2005 at 07:16:43AM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:

libata will immediately notice the ejection without ACPI's help.

http://linux.yyz.us/sata/sata-status.html claims that ICH6 doesn't support hotswap. The Intel docs seem to say the same thing. Pulling the drive out generates an ACPI interrupt but not a PCI one. I'm really happy to be wrong here, it's just that everything I've been able to find so far suggests that ACPI is the only way to get a notification that the drive has gone missing :)

ICH6 and ICH7 support it just fine, through the normal SATA PHY registers. ICH5 only support it if you are clever :)

Further, although one can detect hot-unplug on ICH5, hotplug is probably not detectable without polling or SMI.

Jeff