Re: RFC: ACPI/scsi/libata integration and hotswap

From: Matthew Garrett
Date: Thu Dec 08 2005 - 09:12:16 EST

On Thu, Dec 08, 2005 at 08:52:25AM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 08, 2005 at 01:39:45PM +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > Doing SATA suspend/resume properly on x86 depends on knowing the ACPI
> > object that corresponds to a host or target.
>
> Not true.

Well, where "properly" means "conforming to the ACPI spec". If _GTF is
there, it's meant to be called. The _GTF buffer contents can potentially
vary depending on BIOS settings, so there's no way for Linux to know
what the correct commands to send are. And since _GTF responses can also
depend on the information passed to _SDD, it's necessary to support that
as well.

> > It's also the only way to
> > support hotswap on this hardware[1],
>
> Not true.

I was under the impression that ICH5 and ICH6 in non-AHCI mode didn't
generate any sort of hotswap interrupt. This gets around that.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx