Re: Linux Hardware Quality Labs (was: Linux in a binary world... a doomsday scenario)

From: Dirk Steuwer
Date: Thu Dec 08 2005 - 05:56:23 EST

Chris White <chriswhite <at> gentoo.org> writes:

> On Thursday 08 December 2005 18:23, Dirk Steuwer wrote:
> > - hardware vendors pay someone, or provide source code themselves
> > to be reviewed by apropriate kernel folks/bsd board...
>
> The first part probably won't work too well. The moment money is involved,
> financial pressure starts to come into play, and said person might be
> inclined to "overlook" things so to speak. We want the second one in
> reality. If it's supposed to work with linux, it better damn well be
> reviewed by the people that made it.
>
> Chris White

Your are probably right.

1)Lets say there is a small licence fee.
50% to the developer that writes/intergrates the code into the kernel,
50% to the Org that provides the database/legal backup...

or to get things going
2)no fees, just providing a certain level of docs
such that a driver with full hardware support can be created.
This enables the company to add the "Linux" sticker to their boxes.