Re: wrong number of serial port detected

From: Russell King
Date: Thu Dec 08 2005 - 05:53:49 EST

On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 09:02:03PM -0600, Jason Dravet wrote:
> >As for your 64 VT tty device nodes - these "devices" are created
> >dynamically when the device node is opened. The act of opening the
> >device node is defined to be the creation event. If the device node
> >did not exist, there would be no way to create _any_ virtual terminals.
>
> I thought there were only 7 tty devices (Ctrl-F1 to Ctrl-F7) for local
> system login? Ctrl-F7 being for Xwindows. Did I miss something?

If you look in the "init" configuration file, /etc/inittab, you'll
see lines similar to these:

1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty1
2:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty2
3:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty3
4:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty4
5:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty5
6:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty6

Once "init" has finished bringing up the rest of the system, it will
execute the mingetty commands, asking mingetty to open the first 6 ttys.
This opening of each tty creates the virtual console, at which point
you can switch to it.

If you add:

7:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty7
8:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty8

then you'll have login prompts on ctrl-f1 to ctrl-f8, and X will be
on tty9 (ctrl-f9).

You could even ask another program to send its output to /dev/tty12,
which you'll be able to view via ctrl-f12 - eg, I do this with the
system logger on some of my systems. At that point, you'll have
login prompts on tty1 to tty8, X on tty9 and something else on tty12.

(Note: you could comment out some of the mingetty lines in inittab,
but you should always leave at least one, in case something happens
with X and you need an alternative way to log in.)

--
Russell King
maintainer of: 2.6 Serial core