Re: [patch 00/21] hrtimer - High-resolution timer subsystem

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Wed Dec 07 2005 - 06:32:37 EST

* Nick Piggin <nickpiggin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >>Just curious -- why the "k" thing?
> >

> >yeah. 'struct timer' and 'struct timeout' is even better. I tried it on
>
> Oh good, glad you think so :)
>
> >real code and sometimes it looked a bit funny: often we have a 'timeout'
> >parameter somewhere that is a scalar or a timeval/timespec. So at least
>
> Sure... hmm, the names timeout and timer themselves have something
> vagely wrong about them, but I can't quite place my finger on it, not
> a real worry though...
>
> Maybe it is that timeout is an end result, but timer is a mechanism.

hm, i think you are right.

> So maybe it should be 'struct interval', 'struct timeout'; or 'struct
> timer', 'struct timeout_timer'.

maybe 'struct timer' and 'struct hrtimer' is the right solution after
all, and our latest queue doing 'struct timer_list' + 'struct hrtimer'
is actually quite close to it.

'struct ptimer' does have a bit of vagueness in it at first sight, do
you agree with that? (does it mean 'process'? 'posix'? 'precision'?)

also, hrtimers on low-res clocks do have high internal resolution, but
they are not precise timing mechanisms in the end, due to the low-res
clock. So the more generic name would be 'high-resolution timers', not
'precision timers'. (also, the name 'precision timers' sounds a bit
funny too, but i dont really know why.)

Ingo