Re: SIL_QUIRK_MOD15WRITE workaround problem on 2.6.14

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Mon Dec 05 2005 - 13:40:44 EST

Tejun Heo wrote:
Jeff Garzik wrote:

Tejun Heo wrote:

Ethan confirmed that it's 1095:3114. Arghhh.... Maybe we should keep m15w quirk for 3114's for the time being? Better be slow than hang. Whatever bug the m15w quirk was hiding.

A generic 'slow_down_io' module option is reasonable.

It is not appropriate to apply mod15write quirk to hardware that isn't affected by the chip bug.

A better solution is to write a 311x-specific interrupt handler.

Hello, Jeff. Hello, Carlos.

I bought a sii3114 controller yesterday and took out my ST3120026AS for testing. The drive times out during a WRITE_EXT, and locks up.

* The ST3120026AS works perfectly on a VIA controller.
* The sii3114 controller works perfectly with Maxtor 6B080M0 drives.

I don't know. It acts and smells like m15w problem. What are the odds of having the same symptom on the same combination?

A lock-up is very generic, and could be anything. Tons of problems are hidden by slowing things down, so I just feel that presuming this is _the_ mod15write problem may lead us down the wrong path.

Key example: On error, we need to do a channel-reset, and possibly a FIFO-reset. See the FreeBSD code. sata_sil doesn't do this at all, and probably should. The reset may cure lockups.

Jeff