Re: Broadcom 43xx first results

From: Joseph Jezak
Date: Mon Dec 05 2005 - 13:38:02 EST

> Why yet another attempt to write 802.11 stack? Sure, the one currently
> in the kernel is unusable and everybody knows about it. But why not to
> improve code opensourced by Devicescape some time ago instead of
> inventing the wheel again and again? Yes, I know that code is not
> perfect and needs a lot of work, but it is the best piece of code we
> have available now. And it _does_ support WPA and such - in fact, it
> is nearly complete.
>
> Please take a look at http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/jbenc/

We're not writing an entire stack. We're writing a layer that sits in between the current ieee80211 stack that's already present in the kernel and drivers that do not have a hardware MAC. Since ieee80211 is already in use in the kernel today, this seemed like a natural and useful extension to the existing code. I agree that it's somewhat wasteful to keep rewriting 802.11 stacks and we considered other options, but it seemed like a more logical choice to work with what was available and recommended than to use an external stack.

-Joe