Re: RFC: Starting a stable kernel series off the 2.6 kernel

From: Greg KH
Date: Sun Dec 04 2005 - 17:48:02 EST

On Sun, Dec 04, 2005 at 06:00:49PM +0100, Jakob Oestergaard wrote:

> If the kernel was stable (reliability wise - as in "not crashing") then
> you'd be perfectly right.

But isn't it? :)

> In the real world, however, admins currently need to pick out specific
> versions of the kernel for specific workloads (try running a large
> fileserver on anything but 2.6.11.11 for example - any earlier or later
> kernel will barf reliably.

Have you filed a but at bugzilla.kernel.org about this? If not, how do
you expect it to get fixed?

> For web serving it's another kernel that's golden, I forgot which).

That sounds very strange, the same kernel version should work just as
well for all workloads. If not, it's a bug and should be fixed.

> There are very very good reasons for offering a 'stable series' in plain
> source-tree form - lots of admins of real-world systems need this.

But it sounds like you will want different stable series depending on
what kind of server you are running. And that will be even more work...

thanks,

greg k-h