Re: RFC: Starting a stable kernel series off the 2.6 kernel

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Sun Dec 04 2005 - 07:33:54 EST

On Sun, 2005-12-04 at 13:12 +0100, Matthias Andree wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Dec 2005, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
>
> > These folks have nothing new to innovate here. The memory manager and VM
> > gets revamped every other release. Exports get broken, binary only
> > module compatibility busted every rev of the kernel. I spend weeks on
>
> Who cares for binary modules?
>
> It hurts however if external OSS modules are broken.

then those modules should be submitted realistically. That's just best
for everyone involved. Which modules in particular do you mean btw?

It's rare even in the 2.6 tree to mass-break well written drivers. Just
because it's a lot of work to fix all in kernel drivers up. But a fully
stable API is also not good. My guess is that the drivers that break
most are the ones using the not-right APIs (eg internals and such).