Re: RFC: Starting a stable kernel series off the 2.6 kernel

From: Matthias Andree
Date: Sun Dec 04 2005 - 07:11:54 EST

On Sat, 03 Dec 2005, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

> These folks have nothing new to innovate here. The memory manager and VM
> gets revamped every other release. Exports get broken, binary only
> module compatibility busted every rev of the kernel. I spend weeks on

Who cares for binary modules?

It hurts however if external OSS modules are broken.

> of this code. I have apps written for Windows in 1990 and 1998 that
> still run on Windows XP today.

Sure, you're loading Windows 3.1 drivers into XP... You can tell us
more of that crap later, but not here.

Properly written 1995 software usually still works on Linux as long as
it doesn't need to care about kernel or devices.

[rest of Merkey rantings removed]

--
Matthias Andree