Re: [Fastboot] kdump's dump capture kernel fails (APICs &linux-2.6.15-rc1)

From: Fernando Luis Vazquez Cao
Date: Mon Nov 21 2005 - 02:27:29 EST

On Mon, 2005-11-21 at 00:46 +0900, Fernando Luis Vazquez Cao wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> It seems there are still some problems with the initialization of the
> APICs in the second kernel. As you can see from the serial line captures
> below, early during the boot process the kernel is flooded with
> "unexpected IRQ trap at vector ##" errors and fails to boot.
>
> Some basic details about the machine:
> - Dual Xeon Hyper-Threading 2.4GHz
> - 1GB RAM
>
> In this particular machine the problem could be solved by reintroducing
> the APICs shutdown patch. The drawback with this approach is that
> LAPIC/IOAPIC registers setup for the legacy PIC mode differs a lot
> between mother boards and the somewhat hackish shutdown code fails to
> set the APICs properly under certain configurations.

I have just realized that the "move apic init in init_IRQs" patches by
Eric were reverted back. Besides, APICs shutdown code made it back into
linux-2.6.15-rc2.
This is a desirable stopgap solution that will solve the problem for
some machines and configurations.

Anyway, up to now, the "LAPIC/IO-APIC save/restore" solution is the only
one that has worked reliably for us (even with badly broken BIOSes).

I will test Eric's patches and report the results.

Regards,

Fernando