Re: Compaq Presario "reboot" problems

From: Ondrej Zary
Date: Thu Nov 17 2005 - 18:25:41 EST

linux-os (Dick Johnson) wrote:
It appears as though Linux is still restarting as a "warm boot",
rather than a cold boot (in other words, putting magic in the
shutdown byte of CMOS) so the hardware doesn't get properly
initialized. Would somebody please check this out. When changing
operating systems, you need a cold-boot.
No, it does not. I know that my desktop PC reboots with a beep (and shows CPU information) from Linux - and it does not beep when rebooting from Windows 98.
Some BIOSes don't like when some devices are in some state. One example is my DTK FortisPro TOP-5A notebook - when rebooted from Linux, it hangs during POST - the fix was to add setpci <someting> to shutdown scripts to zero-out some cardbus controller registers.

--
Ondrej Zary