Re: [2.6 patch] i386: always use 4k stacks

From: Paulo Marques
Date: Tue Nov 15 2005 - 10:12:27 EST

Giridhar Pemmasani wrote:
Alan Cox wrote:

reasons. The ndis wrapper people have known it is coming for a long
time, and if it has a lot of users I'm sure someone in that community
will take the time to make patches.

[...]
Any suggestions on how ndiswrapper can live with this patch would be greatly
appreciated.

One idea that has not yet been suggested, is to use a x86 emulator to run the driver code.

I did some development a while ago, to reduce the size a x86 emulator to run VGA BIOS functions. If an emulator like this would make it to the kernel it could also be used to change video modes even using the VESA driver, suspend/resume the VGA using the VGA own code, etc.

The final size of the emulator was a little over 30k, but there was still room for even more reductions.

The advantages:

- the driver runs in a complete sandbox

- support for running NDIS drivers in multiple architectures (not just x86)

- the emulator could be shared amongst more kernel subsystems in need of an emulator (VESA, for instance)

Disadvantages:

- increase in kernel code size (about 30k)

- decrease in driver code execution speed

I'm not really advocating for this, just wanted to make sure people would be aware of all the solutions available before committing to any approach.

--
Paulo Marques - www.grupopie.com

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our
adversaries are insane.
Mark Twain