Re: [-mm patch] USB_LIBUSUAL shouldn't be user-visible

From: Reuben Farrelly
Date: Thu Nov 10 2005 - 07:10:55 EST

On 10/11/2005 7:41 p.m., Pete Zaitcev wrote:
On Wed, 9 Nov 2005 14:28:08 -0800, Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

What about letting the two drivers always use libusual?
Pete? What do you think about this patch?

It does nothing to explain how exactly the current configuration managed
not to work, which leaves me unsatisfied. I did test the kernel to build
correctly with libusub on and off. All we have is this:

It seems that libusual.ko is not being actually built as a module, despite being set to 'm' in .config.

Duh. It's set to 'y' not 'm'. That will teach me for not reading...sorry

Which is nonsensual, because CONFIG_USB_LIBUSUAL is a boolean.
And reub.net is down, so I cannot fetch the erroneous .config.

It's up and down like a yoyo (fighting with a faulty DSLAM tonight for a stable upstream train speed). It's up while I am still awake and kicking it.

I saw Adrian Bunks's posting in response to yours, and he stated a config he knows that is permitted but doesn't work. That happens to be the same as mine, ie:

USB=y
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE=m
CONFIG_USB_LIBUSUAL=y

and also

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_UB=m

I suspect that Reuben did not rerun "make oldconfig" after editing
.config or something of that nature.

Didn't edit .config at all...just selected options when the make oldconfig was run (and misread, still not sure why I looked for a module when I saw 'y' in that .config..)

What Adrian is proposing may be a good idea or may be not, but it has
nothing to do with the problem.

-- Pete

Reuben