Re: [ANNOUNCE] Ubuntu kernel tree

From: Ben Collins
Date: Wed Nov 09 2005 - 10:21:38 EST

On Sun, Nov 06, 2005 at 09:26:09PM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > Some people may have noticed the new git tree located at:
> >
> > rsync.kernel.org:/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/bcollins/ubuntu-2.6.git
> >
> > This tree will directly reflect the Ubuntu Linux Kernel that is available
> > in our distribution (along with build system). First use of this kernel
> > tree is slated for Dapper Drake (Ubuntu 6.04), and will stay synced with
> > the just released 2.6.14(.y).
> >
> > There are several reasons for making this repo available on kernel.org.
> > Primary reasons include a more open development model, better visibility
> > with the kernel developer community, and to make the kernel available to
> > other distro's who may want to base their kernel off of ours.
>
> Heh, I'm interested. We were thinking about using git for internal
> suse kernel trees, but we thought it would not work, as we need more
> something like quilt. Do you really use git internally, or do you just
> export to it? If git is usable for distro develompent... that would be
> good news.

Prior to this we were using baz (arch derivative), but all the patches
were still applied at build time.

We're giving git a go just to see. It's all being done right there, I push
directly to master.kernel.org (and also mirror it to a local machine where
ubuntu devs can make better use of it).

--
Ben Collins <ben.collins@xxxxxxxxxx>
Developer