Re: userspace block driver?

From: Paulo Marques
Date: Wed Nov 09 2005 - 07:42:43 EST

Jeff Garzik wrote:
Jens Axboe wrote:
On Wed, Nov 09 2005, Jeff Garzik wrote:
Neil Brown wrote:
On Wednesday November 9, jgarzik@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

Has anybody put any thought towards how a userspace block driver
would work?

Isn't this was enbd does? http://www.it.uc3m.es/~ptb/nbd/

Is there something there relevant for modern kernels? I would sure hope I could come up with something more lightweight than that.

I was going to say drbd, but then you did say more lightweight :-)
[...]

loop is a closer model to a generic userspace block device than nbd, I think.

That got me thinking... theoretically we should be able to do a FUSE server that served a single file that could be used by a loopback device, couldn't we?

IIRC, Miklos Szeredi tried hard to avoid the deadlock scenarios that nbd suffers from in FUSE, but I don't know if it would stand being called by the loopback device.

If it works, it should be extremely simple to do the server. Just check the FUSE hello world server example:

http://fuse.sourceforge.net/helloworld.html

I've CC'ed Miklos Szeredi to see if he can shed some light on the loopback <-> FUSE combination...

--
Paulo Marques - www.grupopie.com

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our
adversaries are insane.
Mark Twain