Re: userspace block driver?

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Wed Nov 09 2005 - 03:02:08 EST

Jens Axboe wrote:
On Wed, Nov 09 2005, Jeff Garzik wrote:

Neil Brown wrote:

On Wednesday November 9, jgarzik@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

Has anybody put any thought towards how a userspace block driver
would work?

Isn't this was enbd does? http://www.it.uc3m.es/~ptb/nbd/

Is there something there relevant for modern kernels? I would sure hope I could come up with something more lightweight than that.

I was going to say drbd, but then you did say more lightweight :-)

Is nbd completely screwed these days?

nbd does more than I want.

_All_ that is needed is flipping requests <somehow> to/from userspace. nbd messes directly with sockets and such, which I don't want. It does way too much, hardcodes way too much.

loop is a closer model to a generic userspace block device than nbd, I think.

Though, answering your question directly, I do get the impression that in-kernel nbd has been left behind in favor of drbd and enbd, out in the few places where nbd-ish solutions are used.

Jeff