Re: [ANNOUNCE] Ubuntu kernel tree

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Mon Nov 07 2005 - 12:33:17 EST

On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 06:05:44PM +0100, Xavier Bestel wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 18:08, Alan Cox wrote:
> > On Llu, 2005-11-07 at 16:33 +0000, Daniel Drake wrote:
> > > Source RPM's will just contain a Linux kernel tree with your patches already
> > > applied, right?
> >
> > Of course not. Its an rpm file. RPM files contain a set of broken out
> > patches and base tar ball plus controlling rules for application. It's
> > rather more advanced than .deb sources.
>
> That's a troll, Alan. .deb contain exactely the same things.

No, he's right.

The changes a package maintainer does in a .deb are shipped in one big
diff containing all the differences between the pristine upstream
sources and the tree used for building the package.

There are now ways how to arrange the patches in a way that they are
visible as separate patches inside the unpackaged source tree used for
building the package [1], but if all you are interested in is to get the
patches applied against the upstream sources RPM is still superior
(even on my Debian system mc can extract the patches as if the RPM was a
tar file).

> Xav

cu
Adrian

[1] that are used by a subset of the packages shipped by Debian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.
Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed