Re: [ANNOUNCE] Ubuntu kernel tree

From: Michael Alan Dorman
Date: Mon Nov 07 2005 - 12:23:50 EST

Xavier Bestel <xavier.bestel@xxxxxxx> writes:
> On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 18:08, Alan Cox wrote:
>> On Llu, 2005-11-07 at 16:33 +0000, Daniel Drake wrote:
>> > Source RPM's will just contain a Linux kernel tree with your patches already
>> > applied, right?
>>
>> Of course not. Its an rpm file. RPM files contain a set of broken out
>> patches and base tar ball plus controlling rules for application. It's
>> rather more advanced than .deb sources.
>
> That's a troll, Alan. .deb contain exactely the same things.

Some packages use dpatch and related tools like this, and give you a
pristine upstream tarball and broken-out patches, but it is not
supported at the level that RPMs do---which is to say, in the core
tool.

Seriously, I pulled apart a whole lot of RPMs when I was doing the
first real (libc6) port of Debian to the Alpha in '96, and it was a
lot easier than dealing with the generally mashed-together patches in
a debian package's .diff.gz.

Mike