Re: ide-cs broken / udev magic

From: Richard Purdie
Date: Fri Nov 04 2005 - 21:08:14 EST

On Fri, 2005-11-04 at 15:28 -0800, Greg KH wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 05, 2005 at 12:22:36AM +0100, Damir Perisa wrote:
> > as other distros use to ignore removable ide's. now i need to load the
> > ide-cs module by hand (bad thing, as module should be loaded
> > automagically with udev/hotplug) but on the other hand, no more
> > dmesg-spamming, no freezes and also the node is created successfully
> > after module is loaded.
>
> This shouldn't have changed the "autoload" capability of the module at
> all. It should still being loaded with whatever means it was being
> loaded before. But that's a distro specific question, not a
> linux-kernel issue.
>
> > is there planed action to change ide-cs to work without making it being
> > ignored ... without this exception that needs to be specified in udev
> > rules?
>
> Yes, there are patches somewhere to fix this up, I'm trying to track
> them down.

This is a bug in the ide layer as CF pcmcia devices are marked as
removable but the devices (and the behaviour of ide-cs) does not fit the
Linux definition of such devices.

See this thread: http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/9/21/118

I'm hoping to work out a patch to change this in a manner acceptable to
everyone but haven't found time yet. I've not forgotten though.

Richard